The no. 2 Kid‘s Favorite
Coca Cola Chicken is definitely the no. 2 Kid‘s Favorite recipes! There’s coke in it. What’s not to like, right?
It’s savory, sweet (you can even make it spicy if you like) and there are so many different ways to eat this!
Just in case you were wondering what my kid’s favorite dinner is; It’s Chicken Pot Pie!
Click on the image to go to the article on my blog for your kids to try too!
Our top 3 ways to eat Coca Cola Chicken:
- On top of fried rice
- With chips and mashed potatoes with roasted veggies
- With Bahmi (stir-fried noodles)
Our favorite will definitely be the chips, mashed potato and roasted veggies! You know at KFC, how you would dip your chips in the mashed potato and gravy?
Well, I take that to the next level and put cola sauce, instead of gravy on top of the mashed potato and we would literally dip EVERYTHING in there! Chips, veggies, hell, I could even dip my socks in there and they would taste good! (Not too keen to actually try that though)
Let me know in the comments what your favorite is and/or if you have ideas what to eat it with. I would love to hear your input!
To serve Coca Cola Chicken for 4 people we will need:
- Chicken Drumsticks
- Coca Cola
- Brown sugar
- Tomato paste
- Soy sauce
- Smoked sweet paprika powder
- Cayenne pepper
I always like to start off with getting all my ingedrients ready and turning the oven on. If I don’t, I often wonder why my recipes tastes different and it’s usually because I forgot something🙈. Unlike most women that have memories like elephants, I have the memory of a goldfish and I truly admire the people that are able to keep their patience with me when I try to memorize a word in English I suddenly only can remember in Dutch or even in German. (In the Netherlands we get German, French and English in high school, I’m not a language nerd)
Place the drumsticks on a baking rack and cover in salt & pepper and in the oven for about 20 minutes.
Making the sauce
When everything is chopped up and ready to go, it‘s time to make the Coca Cola sauce. I start off with frying my onions and garlic in a splash of oil. After the onions turn transparant, I add the smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and tomato paste. Stir this for about a minute and add in the coke and the soy sauce.
Let simmer until the liquid has reduced in half (it takes about 15 minutes) and place the chicken in the pan, pouring liquid over it. Turn around frequently until the sauce becomes nice and sticky (about another 15 minutes)
Garnish the Coca Cola Chicken with spring onions and you’re ready to eat!
Bon appetit, eet smakelijk and enjoy your dinner!
Coca Cola Chicken
- 8 Chicken drumsticks (3 each)
- 1 Onion in dices
- 2 tbsp Minced garlic
- 1 600ml bottle of Coca Cola
- 3 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 heaped tsp Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 heaped tbsp Tomato paste
- 4 tbsp Soy sauce
- Place the chicken on an baking tray and brown it in the oven on 180 degrees (356 F) for 20 minutes
- In a pan, fry the onion with the garlic until the onion is transparent
- Add tomato paste, sweet paprika powder and cayenne pepper en stir for 1 minute
- Add coke, brown sugar and the soy sauce and let simmer for 15 minutes until the sauce has reduced half in liquid
- Add chicken to the pan and simmer for another 15 minutes, while turning frequently
You might also like: